Thursday, December 28, 2006

matzo balls, cookies, seitan

I'm still alive!

Everything has been crazy lately but I'm finally off on my break from school. I'm keeping up [or trying to] four blogs, moderating over at VeggieBoards, and kicking my own butt with stuff for school, band, and [hopefully] college admissions for next year.

On the cooking front, I made five dozen cookies to give out for Christmas, the Sparkled Ginger cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance were the most popular ones. I also made the Gigantoid Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies from VwaV.


On Christmas Day I took advantage of the day off and made matzo balls (also from VwaV). They came out really well despite my less than optimistic expectations. The soup was just something my dad pulled together from the stuff leftover in the refrigerator.


Yesterday was my first ever seitan experience. I made a hybrid of a few recipes I found online and the results were mediocre. I baked the seitan so there wasn't a brainy texture issue, but it's kind of soft and squishy still. I froze most of it so I'll probably be messing around with it to see how to make it better in the next few weeks.

I received both the Vegan Lunch Box cookbook and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for Channukah, but I've yet to make anything from either (although they both look great).

Hope everyone's holidays have been less hectic than mine and a happy new year to all.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/30/2006 12:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm interested to see what you make from the VLB cookbook. It's on my wish list for right now.

Those matzoh balls look great. I hope your schedule slows down and you have a great new year.

 
At 1/01/2007 6:05 PM , Blogger zenpawn said...

I enjoy seitan almost crispy. Sliced or diced then baked.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home