Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ode to the Pomegranate

Todays Vegan MoFo post brought to you by: pomegranates.

The first time I saw a pomegranate I was skeptical. From the outside it looked relatively tame but once cut open it was a fierce red and seemed to be composed entirely of seeds. I wasn't even sure how to eat it. I've since learned the best way to cut open a pomegranate (try the no-mess method detailed here) and the absolute joy of crunching on pomegranate seeds.

When I was little my favorite food changed a lot, I liked my mom's lasagna, dill pickles, matar paneer, but I'd never had pomegranate.

Pomegranate rocked my world. It's juicy and sweet and tart and crunchy and all those things that make you feel like you could just eat it for the rest of your life and never grow tired of it. Yes, it's a little annoying to prepare and yes, it leaves beastly stains on your clothes if you're messy, and yes, it's ridiculously expensive (usually $1-2 each around here) but yes, it's all worth it for a single spoonful of pomegranate and a big juicy smile.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 11/14/2007 1:26 PM , Blogger Deva said...

i'm doing NaBloPoMo at my mainblog this month, trying at the fashion blog...

 
At 11/15/2007 2:14 PM , Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said...

great to see you joining in on the VeganMoFo fun!! :0) pomegranates are so delicious, and worth the mess and hard work involved, trying to eat it haha

 
At 11/17/2007 4:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've just started eating these for the first time and I'm absolutely in love. My 13m old son thinks they're candy or something :D

 
At 11/18/2007 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could get poms for just $1-2 :(

 
At 11/18/2007 7:22 PM , Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

It's so good to see you blogging again! WOW! Pomagranates are 4.99 each around here. A VERY rare treat indeed. But I do love them!!

 
At 12/04/2007 12:59 AM , Blogger June said...

I've never had pomegranates before! Now I must try them...though I have to admit, it's freaky to see inside a fruit and see all those scary looking seeds. They look so much prettier alone in a bowl.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home