Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Community Supported Agriculture

As an experiment this summer, my family joined community supported agriculture (CSA). Every week we get local organic produce delivered to a nearby pickup location. Although we do sometimes get vegetables that nobody in my family likes too much (beets and bok choy anyone?), it's a lot of fun and a great way to try things I might have otherwise never bought. Additionally, we can go to the farm and pick a number of other crops and flowers for no extra charge. Most of the produce we get is in very good condition, and of course, very fresh. Even though I think CSA is a great experience and a really good cause, we probably won't be signing up again next year. The delivered shares only come in one size and for three people it's too much food. We've looked around a bit, but we haven't found anyone interested in splitting a box. Not to mention, next fall I'll be moving away and going off to college (woah, !

Right now we're getting some great varieties of heirloom tomatoes including the monsters pictured below:

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8/16/2007 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish we have (CSA) here!

those tomatoes are really big!!

 
At 8/17/2007 12:36 PM , Blogger theONLYtania said...

Funky tomatoes! Hehe. Sounds like you are having a good summer, Govie's and all.
Where are you planning to go for college? WEST CHESTER!

 
At 8/23/2007 12:48 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

I'd love to go to MIT or Brown, so cross your fingers for me

 
At 8/28/2007 12:35 PM , Blogger Veggie Cookster said...

I've thought about doing the CSA with my sis and her hubby... but if you say you get too much food for three people... maybe we need to find another person to split with!

 
At 10/21/2007 8:10 PM , Blogger cemilyd said...

If you want someone to share a box with... try my family!

...such tasty looking tomatoes...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home