Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Baked Tofu Fries

Despite criticism by most omnis, I really do like tofu. Since I became vegetarian at a fairly young age, I can't quite remember what the texture of meat is like, which probably allows me to appreciate tofu even more. When I'm feeling lazy I like to bake some tofu fries, they take less than ten minutes of active prep time and taste great.

All you need to do is cut the tofu into pieces that are about the length of your pinkie finger and twice as wide. Then toss each piece in a mixture that is about half bread crumbs (use premade or make your own by putting toast in the food processor) and half nutritional yeast. Add in some garlic powder, salt, and any other seasonings you like, toss the tofu on a pan, and stick it in the oven on broil. Broil the tofu until is is brown (varies depending on the size of your pieces, but probably about 10 minutes per side). Make sure to check the tofu every few minutes so it doesn't burn. When it is lightly browned flip it over and cook about ten more minutes. Serve plain or with ketchup. To make it even easier, I don't press the tofu or prep it in any way, I just use it straight from the package, the moisture helps it hold the breading.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 5/03/2007 9:18 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Oh yum! I totally feel the same love for tofu, as well as the criticism I get for that love. I really want to try to bake tofu some time.

 
At 5/06/2007 1:27 AM , Blogger KleoPatra said...

Those look fabulous. What a great, unique idea!!

 
At 5/06/2007 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to like tofu but it's definitely an acquired taste. Your little "fries" look pretty good though.

 
At 5/18/2007 8:34 PM , Blogger Deva said...

i like tofu fries... with sesame or peanut sauce :D

 
At 5/19/2007 3:11 PM , Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I am a tofu virgin, but I have picked up a lot of good ideas from blogs recently. I love this recipe! I am going to have to make the leap! I used breadcrumbs today to make tiffin eggs (veggie scotch eggs), but I never though of toasting the bread first, does it make a big difference? Anyway, I will be posting the Tiffin Eggs tomorrow if you are interested. I have too much studying to do to post it tonight! Why are you blogging then, I hear you cry, well I am really avoiding getting on with it!

 
At 5/21/2007 8:24 PM , Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Hi I am back again, busy posting, posting posting (well maybe twice)!
Anyway just to let you know that I have linked to your Baked Tofu Fries as a perfect Vegetarian Snack during National Vegetarian Week here in the UK. Hope that's ok!

 
At 3/30/2009 10:35 AM , Blogger Will said...

sounds great. I'm going to give this a try. I like baked sweet potato fries and baked butternut squash fries, so I bet these tofu fries would be a favorite of mine too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home