Saturday, October 07, 2006

Freezing Tofu

Freezing tofu is a very simple process that far too many people seem confused about. It changes the texture of the tofu and makes it absorb flavor much better. It also keeps practically forever which is good if you aren't cooking for too many people or if you don't use tofu very often. To aid the confused people, I made a quick photo tutorial for a lazy person to freeze tofu.


First cut your tofu into serving size chunks. I'm usually only cooking for one or two people so I can get 4-6 pieces per 14 oz container.







Next place each piece in a bag to freeze. You can use fancy ziploc bags but I use sandwich bags because they're cheaper and they work just as well.

Alternately, you could freeze the pieces on a piece of wax or parchment paper.



Tie a knot (or seal) the top of each bag. Since you didn't drain or press the tofu there will be some liquid in the bag, don't worry about it. Put the bags in the freezer.







When your tofu is hard and frozen, it's ready to be used. It naturally changes color when it freezes, the yellow tinge does not indicate spoilage. Rip or cut open the bag. You are now left with a choice between several methods to defrost your tofu.

My preferred method is to microwave the tofu in 1-2 minute increments until it is defrosted (around 3-4 minutes for my size pieces). Be careful, parts of the tofu may be freezing cold while others will be hot enough to burn you.


Other choices for defrosting include leaving your tofu in the refrigerator overnight to defrost or leaving it out on a counter. You can also boil it in water or broth.

After your tofu is defrosted, drain water and press out any excess with a paper towel between your hands. Then slice and cook your tofu as desired.

I've also frozen tofu in bite size pieces/slices but it's just more of a pain for me since I then have to spread them all out on a sheet to freeze so they don't stick.


As a heads up, no lunch on Monday. I have off from school for Columbus Day. I will probably be home doing homework and makeup work all day since I will be missing a week of school when I go to China in less than a month from now!

I'm already thinking about eating vegan in China. It's going to be tough since it's a school organized trip and all the meals are pre-planned and are all Chinese food. My teacher said that they have planned three meat and two vegetable dishes at every meal, but I know a lot of people consider chicken with broccoli to be a vegetable dish. I plan on bringing nuts, dried fruit, crackers, and peanut butter in my suitcase. The hotel we're staying at also supposedly has American and Chinese breakfast, which I'm hoping means that there will be cereal. I'm a fairly adventurous eater when I get the chance so I really will try anything if I think it's vegan.

15 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 10:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very excellent tutorial! I'm not into the texture myself, but still. The China trip is so freaking exciting - stock pile on peanut butter too.

 
At 10/09/2006 10:51 AM , Blogger Harmonia said...

Thank you for the advice. I had just started freezing tofu! I like it much better with the way the flavors stick or absorb better! Thanks!

 
At 10/10/2006 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tutorial, great idea!
wishing you the best in the trip!

 
At 10/10/2006 1:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually just leave my tofu in the container and freeze it. It always works for me!

Mine has never turned yellow though...that's kind of disappointing, I would love yellow tofu. :)

A trip to China sounds fun! Hopefully there will be lots of veg food you can partake of. I'm sure the produce there is awesome.

 
At 7/19/2008 8:47 PM , Blogger Latayy said...

Thank so much
I hope this change in texture could help me enjoy tofu better

 
At 12/27/2008 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info!

 
At 7/30/2009 4:09 PM , Blogger Wen Rolland said...

Thanks! My Tofu kind of froze in the back of my refrigerator and I was wondering if it was still good... Now I know! Be happy!

 
At 9/22/2009 6:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well that was easy and definitely better than I could have imagined. I now know how to easily haveTofu available all the time. Thank you

 
At 12/25/2009 3:48 PM , Anonymous Vegan Diaries said...

Thanks so much for the step-by-step details. I'm still new to this and had a lot of questions but feel comfortable about it now. Looking forward to experimenting with the freezing it in slabs and with and without the liquid..

 
At 3/20/2010 7:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on theflyingvegan.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Let me show you one truth. Research presents that about 80% of all United States adults are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

 
At 2/01/2011 6:00 PM , Anonymous Roch said...

I will be giving this a try by freezing my tofu burger patties which I have made. I hope the process is similar.

 
At 8/25/2012 1:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the great "how-to," Michelle. But I've been having a debate with my adult daughter about freezing tofu. I maintain (without any scientific evidence)that when you squeaze the water out after thawing, a portion of the protein goes with it, just like some of the Vitamin C goes with the juice when you squeeze an orange. She maintains it does not, and all the original protein remains in the tofu. Which of us is right?

 
At 9/11/2012 2:37 PM , Anonymous Laura said...

I have never heard of freezing tofu until recently but a definitely going to try it after reading your instructions because I thought it'd be a pain in the behind!

 
At 3/06/2013 3:48 PM , Anonymous Rachel said...

Thanks for all the tips! they were the best I found when I googled it.

 
At 9/16/2013 10:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the info - my grandmother bought me tofu at Costco, which came as three 20oz (+/-) packages. But I only ever cook for myself, so i had no idea what to do with that much tofu. I think i will try this, and use it in my tofu lasagna (basic lasagna with tofu substituting for ground meat).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home