Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lasagna and couscous

A backlog of lunches: that means double post for all you lucky readers.

Unlike most of the horror stories I hear about, most of my family is very accepting of my veganism. On Sunday I attended a family party where there was a ton of food that even I could eat. There were Asian noodles, veggie lasagna, rice, salad, fruit salad, sorbet, and all sorts of snacks (chips, cut vegetables, salsa, etc.). In fact, the only non-vegan parts of the meal were ice cream and a cheese lasagna (which wasn't nearly as popular as the vegan lasagna). I brought home some leftovers and had a ready-made lunch of rice, salad, and lasagna for Monday. The lasagna has tomato sauce, broiled eggplant, and tomatoes in layers in between the noodles. I put the bread on top of the rice before I closed my lunch and it all fit perfectly.

For today's lunch I have some couscous with peas and basil. Couscous is great it cooks in just a few minutes and is good cold. Although I pack my lunches at night, I still don't want to spend a ton of time. Couscous is the perfect way to have some real food without laboring for hours. There's also a little more bread, some red bell pepper, two Twizzlers, and some peanuts.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3/13/2007 10:51 PM , Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

The lasagna sounds wonderful! And I love couscous! It is easy and quick and yummy!

 
At 3/15/2007 11:06 AM , Blogger Sheree' said...

You gotta love couscous. I think it is wonderful. Add a million things to it and you have a brand new dish. Oh how I am going to have to make some lasagna. Your lunches are wonderful.

 
At 3/15/2007 8:34 PM , Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

OK, you had me until the Twizzlers.

Are those really recognized as a food item? :D

 
At 3/16/2007 2:03 PM , Blogger Kate said...

That is great to see that your family is so accepting of your veganism. My family is very accepting as well. Hope you are enjoying your snow day which I assume you are having because it snowed all over NJ.

 
At 3/16/2007 8:15 PM , Blogger madeinalaska said...

Kind of funny story about the twizzlers.. My four year old daughter goes to pre-school and for the most part I am told in advance about any birthday celebrations in advance so I can bring her- her own treat. We were surprised one day that I volunteer at my sons school leaving me no time to run to the store to get her a treat to have while the other kids were enjoying their store bought cupcakes.. well, I ended up buying her some twizzlers from my sons schools teachers lounge vending machine and bring them back to the pre-school in the nick of time.. so she could enjoy a "treat" as well.. (yes, we are usually WAY more prepared w/ her own treat back but, it had been depleted)..
I am glad to hear your family is so accommodating.. My own Mother use to give me a bit of grief.. but, came around! Yea! the last time I visited her she met me at the door w/ a cheesless pizza!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home