Sunday, March 04, 2007

Happy Purim!

Happy Purim today to those of you that celebrate. In honor of the holiday I made hamentaschen, a traditional three-cornered cookie.

Most people today fill hamentaschen with jam, pie filling, poppy seeds (yuck!), or chocolate chips, but I didn't have any of those items on hand. What I did have was a wonderfully ripe mango. I decided to explore the unknown and make mango hamentaschen. The results: a success!

I veganized a recipe from The Spice and Spirit of Kosher-Jewish Cooking.

Mix By Hand-Hamentaschen

2 cups flour
2 eggs worth of egg replacer (I used 1T ground flax + 3T water for each egg, and even though it tasted fine, it gave my hamentaschen a spotted, "healthy" look. If you care about this, you might want to try a different egg replacer)
3/8 cup sugar
1 stick margarine, softened
1/2 TBS orange juice
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
Filling of your choice (any thick jam, pie filling, diced cooked fruit thickened with corn/tapioca starch, chocolate chips, etc.)

Mix all ingredients together by hand. You may want to add a little more juice if the dough is too dry to roll. Roll the dough very thing (about 1/8") on a floured surface. Use a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass to cut circles out of the dough.

Place about 1 tsp of filling in the center of each circle. If you use much more filling than this they will leak when you try to bake them. Fold along the lines shown in the picture below to form a triangle shape. Firmly seal corners.

Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350° for about 20-22 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.


Before hamentaschen making, though, I needed a good breakfast. That was when I turned to my trusty copy of Vegan with a Vengeance. The banana pancakes were great. They cooked up really well and were delicious and fluffy.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 3/04/2007 8:36 PM , Blogger Just call me Orangie said...

May I ask why you don't like poppyseeds? I've never had them, and all I know about them is they're VERY high in calcium. What do they taste like?

 
At 3/04/2007 8:45 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

I don't mind the taste of poppy seeds on some things, like bagels, but as a cookie filling they're just too gritty and dry. I'm not really sure how to describe the taste, but it's nothing too great

 
At 3/05/2007 10:46 AM , Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

They look realy good. I am going to try those!

 
At 3/05/2007 11:38 AM , Blogger theONLYtania said...

Neat idea with the mango cookies, they look good! I've never had fresh mango, only dried..
I might make some pancakes over spring break, wooo!

 
At 3/06/2007 11:41 AM , Blogger Sheree' said...

Your cookies look great. I personally love poppy seeds. (in cooking) I think I need to go make pancakes. :o)

 
At 3/31/2007 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks great, thanks for the recipe!

 
At 3/20/2008 10:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks soo much for the recipe. We were sitting here wondering when the next lunar-calendar holiday was, and turns out it's this weekend, so I had to have cookies, and they needed to be vegan, they turned out great, though I used (real) maple syrup in place of the sugar/OJ.

-dan imovedtopittsburgh.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home