Monday, March 19, 2007

Falafel, samosa, veggies

Today's lunch was rather monochromatic, but still pretty yummy. Premade falafel (from the freezer section) in whole wheat mini pitas, green bell pepper, giant pretzels, a banana, and a homemade apple crumb cake muffin. The muffin is an edited (and dare I say, improved?) version of Isa's recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance, which I will hopefully get around to posting in the next few days. If I forget and you're just on the edge of your seat waiting (which I'm sure you all will be) feel free to post a gentle reminder for me.


As Passover draws nearer in my household, though, the food choices continue to get narrower. We basically clear out the entire fridge and as much of the freezer as possible for Passover, so right now we're trying to finish things up. I, of course, am not a big fan of lack of selection, so I went out and picked up a couple samosas and some Indian food for dinner. For those who don't know, a samosa (shown above) is a savory Indian pastry filled with spiced potatoes and peas, wrapped in dough, and usually deep fried. I've made baked ones at home, but they aren't nearly as good as the terrible-for-you fried version. To make up for the unhealthiness of the samosa, I water-sauteed some asparagus and baby carrots with sesame seeds and packed some Cheerios on the side.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3/20/2007 1:38 PM , Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

They sound wonderful! I must check to see if they have any at our local stores.

 
At 3/20/2007 3:18 PM , Blogger theONLYtania said...

Lunch looks good.. can't wait for the muffin recipe! Have you ever made your own falafel? I haven't.
Hehe I was just munching on some cheerios. What exactly is Passover? I mean.. why do you have to clean out the fridge? Sorry to be so out of the loop!

 
At 3/20/2007 3:39 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

I've made my own falafel, but I'm lazy and I don't like to fry things so the storebought work well for me. Eventually I might try baked falafel. I don't have any real falafel recipes to recommend because I usually just go by ear on falafel. My dad does make some mean falafel, though.

No need to apologize! Passover is a Jewish holiday that commemorates the Exodus of the Israelites from ancient Egypt. According to the story of Passover, the Israelites didn't have time to let their dough rise, and the sun baked it into hard unleavened bread as they carried it on their backs out of Egypt. In remembrance, Jews don't eat any leavened products for the duration of Passover (8 days for most of the world). Many families, mine included, clear or sell all leavened products, called chametz, from their homes during the holiday. We also thoroughly clean the whole house to remove any possible chametz. Right now it's a few weeks before Passover so we're trying to concentrate on finishing all the groceries in the house and not buying much more.

My family's tradition is also to abstain from rice and legumes (beans, soy, etc.) during Passover. It's tough sometimes, but for a week it's doable.

[I get a little long-winded sometimes, sorry about that!]

 
At 3/20/2007 9:04 PM , Blogger theONLYtania said...

Well that's really interesting. It's a neat story, and I think that would be a cool thing to do once a year. Oh yeah.. I'll have to look up some falafel stuff.. I'd rather bake it too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home