Monday, February 12, 2007

Black bean burger


I had a little bit of black beans left from yesterday's quinoa with beans so I decided to make a burger for today. I didn't have a recipe, I just went through the kitchen and mashed up whatever I thought might be good together. I think I ended up with approximately: 1/4 c black beans, 1/4 cup firm tofu, crumbled, 1 T ground flax seed, 1 T wheat germ, 1/2 t Tabasco sauce, 1 t oregano, 1 T frozen defrosted peas, 1/3 slice of crumbled toast. After I mashed it all together with a fork I shaped the mixture into a patty and cooked it in a nonstick pan for a couple minutes on each side. Surprisingly it stayed together. From start to finish, it took less than 10 minutes to make a healthy burger completely from scratch. It ended up being a little bland so I might end up adding some more spices if I try this again.

For lunch, I have the burger on whole grain bread with pre-packed organic spring greens. I just left the top slice of bread off for the picture. Also pictured are some more grapes and baby yellow peppers.

Do an extra snow dance for me tonight so I can have the day off tomorrow.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 2/13/2007 9:15 PM , Blogger theONLYtania said...

Hey, that's a pretty awesome made up burger! Next time you could try some uncooked quick oats, I've heard of using those to hold burgers together too. Those baby peppers are awesome! I need to find some of them.

I hope I get off school too! Classes were canceled from 12:15 on today, and it's supposed to keep snowing all night. *crosses fingers*

 
At 2/14/2007 9:37 AM , Blogger MandyWrites said...

That sounds like a great burger! I never tried putting tofu into mine and the flax seed may be a tastey mix in my recipe...

I've been calling into work by the hour or so to see if they need me, so far I'm sitting warmly at home. Ha, ha.

Found you by veggieboards, if you were interested in knowing. :)

 
At 2/15/2007 11:48 AM , Blogger Judy said...

Hi! Love the blog!

What a great idea to make a burger. I'll bet it you'd added some garlic and onions it would have been a bit more flavourful.

 
At 2/15/2007 5:01 PM , Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

What a great idea! sounds wonderful

 
At 2/17/2007 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen baby yellow peppers before. Your burger sounds good. I keep thinking about trying black bean burges but never seem to get around to it.

 
At 2/18/2007 11:39 PM , Blogger Harmonia said...

Always looking for burgers and sammiches! Thanks for the ideas!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home