Monday, December 24, 2007

Asian Food for Christmas Eve

While most people are gathering around the tree with their families and destressing from a crazy month of shopping, cooking, and baking, I'm sitting at home with a week of break and not too much to do. It's a really good feeling. This has given me a little more time for cooking. While most of the Jews I know go out for Chinese food on Christmas Eve, I opted to stay home today. My parents, however, stopped off at the Asian food center today and picked up the following:

(soy puffs, vermicelli, and wonton wrappers, if you can't tell)

One package was mysteriously labeled, "Soy Puffs" and I decided to use it today. As far as I could tell it was some sort of deep fried tofu. Each puff was about 1-1/2" square. I cooked them in a non-stick pan without any additional oil and they browned a little and released a lot of oil. In the meantime I steamed broccoli and sliced carrots and made the sauce that goes with General Tao's Tofu from the ever-popular vegweb recipe. The result was just as good as any dish I've ever ordered at a Chinese restaurant. The soy puffs were chewy and airy and the sauce was perfect, as it had been every time I've used this recipe.

For dinner, my dad and I made the Scallion Flatbread from Veganomicon. It didn't vary much from other flatbreads I've made and basically tasted like a scallion paratha. I misread the recipe and only added 1/4 tsp of salt instead of 3/4 tsp (this is what I get for reading upside down) so it was a little bland. I didn't have the ingredients to make the dipping sauce, so we just had them plain, which was still pretty good.

Merry Christmas!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/25/2007 11:06 AM , Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said...

what a fun dinner!! the Scallion Flatbread sounds especially enticing.

Happy holidays :0)

 
At 4/14/2009 2:02 PM , Blogger wendy said...

i googled "soy puffs" because I discovered them also and what I did, following a low carb diet..as use these as a donut type snack. I sauteed them in butter..just a bit and then tossed them in splenda and cinnamon! were yummy! Your recipe also sounds great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home